Forums » NDE Controversies

Andrew Cohen: How I Created A Cult

• 957 posts
    October 31, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

How I Created A Cult
    conscious2.com

Original Link

This documentary examines a very important phenomenon that affects many, many people who have spiritual experiences, including near-death experiencers. If we focus too much on the spiritual realities of life without focusing enough on the imperfect, growing, evolving human side of ourselves, we get into serious trouble. Andrew Cohen is one more example of what happens when the shadowy, undeveloped sides of our nature are not honored and dealt with: they eventually catch up with us and set our earthly lives on fire...

Andrew Cohen is one of the most controversial spiritual teachers of the last 30 years. In 2013 his organization EnlightenNext collapsed amidst claims of abuse and the shocking revelation it had been a cult.

This groundbreaking 6-part series features interviews with Andrew Cohen, former students including William Yenner (author of American Guru) and Marlowe Sand (author of Paradise and Promises), and commentary from experts Dr. Roger Walsh, Tami Simon, Steve McIntosh and Doshin Michael Nelson.

How I Created a Cult investigates three decades of abuse, the danger of unchecked power in the hands of a charismatic leader, how this co-existed alongside stories of genuine spiritual awakening and transformation, and ultimately what happens when people risk it all in the name of spiritual awakening.

https://www.conscious2.com/how-i-created-a-cult/

Related Links:

Andrew Cohen & The Dark Side of Enlightenment

What Near-Death Experiences Teach Us

Stripping The Gurus

This post was edited by David Sunfellow at December 6, 2016 9:53 AM MST
  • D M
    • 175 posts
    November 2, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

The trailers that I have seen about this today remind me so very much of my time in the monastery.  

After viewing some of these documentary trailiers, I think I know now why I got it the worst of all of the sisters.  I refused to do certain things - i.e., kill certain animals that the superior felt were killing the song birds that she liked to hear.  This is only one story of many.  

I'm not sure if I am ready to watch the complete documentary.  I don't know if I'm ready yet.